I designated May 2014 my month without USA and UK culture. I did it to show how big the dominance is, and it’s my small protest against it.
First week (1-4 May) overlapped with Polish long weekend (1st & 3rd May, national holiday, free days) which also means “special programmes”.
Second week is just a regular week, except the Eurovision contest, aired by TVP. All the stages, two semi-finals and finals. UK has always guaranteed place in final. Despite that, I can’t just ditch it.
Films, TV series
As you know from week 1, watching TV is really tiresome and demanding. It requires a lot of planning beforehand. So I need to use TV guides. But it’s not so easy, either. The first online TV guide I went to, recommended several films (aired on evenings in different channels) all of them made in USA or co-produced by USA.
Because the programmes that I’m interested in often air in “strange” hours, I have to record them. I also have some programmes recorded a long time ago, not watched yet.
- Eurovision semi-finals and final. [Europe, set in Copenhagen]. TVP1.
- Słownik polsko@polski (Polish@Polish dictionary) – a TV programme about language correctness in Polish. With the guru professor Miodek. [Poland]
- Made in Polska – a concert of Katarzyna Nosowska. [Poland]
- Igra (Игра) – 1st episode of TV series. [Russia] Youtube.
- Flikken Maastricht (Polish title: Policjanci z Maastricht) – an episode of police TV series in TVS channel. [The Netherlands]
- Paris (Polish title: Niebo nad Paryżem). [France]
Internet radio, with selected programmes is the way to go. Do you have any suggestion on no-USA and no-UK radio channels?
I listened to
- Catch the Wave on Arirang Radio. [South Korea]
- Born Kim – Future Color CD [South Korea]
- Glay – UNITY ROOTS & FAMILY, AWAY CD [Japan]
- io casino [Andorra]
- Amazon Zero [France]
- The Hour of the Stars by Clarice Lispector. [Brazil]
- Józef Mak by Jozef Ciger Hronsky. [Slovakia]
- Lectures on Russian Literature by Vladimir Nabokov. [Russia] I read Polish version “Wykłady o literaturze rosyjskiej”.
- Waktu Aku Sama Mika by Indi. [Indonesia.] The book is in Indonesian only.
- Eurovision, UK artist inside. 😉