Welcome to my second 2014 challenge! The first one is A to Z 2014 World Books Challenge, encouraging you to read books on various topics from around the world. The second one, this, 2014 World Culture Challenge will also take you on a trip around the world, but it’s not only about reading. It’s about culture in the bigger sense and being well-versed in it.
My reasons for challenge
In Indonesia I was often asked all things about Poland and Polish culture. You don’t notice a lot of things while you’re in your own country. Sure, you hear lots of things, but later on many of those are forgotten. Remembering my one year in Indonesia I’ve noticed I was more culturally active there. I might not go to the museum (much) but I was going to cinema, theatre, for concerts more often. It’s not only about money. I remember the discussions with my friends from different countries about culture – be it books, films or a trait in our own cultures.
It’s kinda sad, that I participated more often when it was something new for me, and I don’t pay a lot of attention when I’m back home. I want to change that, that’s why I’m making a challenge for myself, hoping others will join in their own countries. And I hope we can discover new things from each others.
- New themes will be given out every 2 months. So, 6 different themes in a year.
- You can join at any time.
- The choice for cultural activities you’ll take part in will be your decision. I’ll be limiting them with themes and kind of activities to take. (So I or you won’t always do the same thing you’re used to.)
- When you participate in activity, choose new things. If you’re reading a book, read something you haven’t read yet. The same goes for film, TV series, music, concerts, exhibitions, etc.
- After participating in an event, please write a post about it. The info I’m looking about is: basic information about type and topic of activity, people involved (no need for too much details, things like author of the book, or director or major actors, etc.) and your opinion about it.
- Please tag a post with “2014 Global Culture Challenge” and link to this blog.
January & February 2014 rules:
- The theme is your own country. The writer/director/singer etc. should be from your own country.
- You have to participate in any 2 of these activities that are related to the bimonthly topic:
- read a book (you can also participate in January challenge of A to Z 2014 World books Challenge) that you haven’t read yet.
- watch a film or theatre play set in your own country (which you haven’t seen yet).
- go to a concert of a singer/band/orchestra that debuted after 2010.
- go to an exhibition about your own country’s culture/history or showing artists (also designers) from your own country.
- play a game (board, card , video or RPG) that is related to your own country.
- learn to make a traditional dish from your country (can be regional). The origin of the dish is unimportant, as long as it’s treated as a traditional dish in your country.
- Write a post recommending a foreigner an author/book, singer/band/orchestra or other artists from your own country. Write also why do you think others should check out this person/these people. Try choosing something that might be available from abroad (so an exhibition in your town isn’t the best idea).
- Have fun! 😉
Enjoy your travels and discoveries!